Skip to main content

Reflections on Islam in Puerto Rico

Written by Vanessa Rivera Abusaker, 2011

I am a Puerto Rican living in New York. I relocated to New York on July 2, 2006 from San Sebastian, Puerto Rico. My town is in the mountains, North West of Puerto Rico. I learned about Islam for the first time when I was in the ninth grade, and I thought it was a very beautiful social movement. Then again, I heard about the Muslims as being guilty for the terrorist attacks on 9-11 to the Twin Towers, in NYC. That experience made me feel very prejudiced against this religion.

Then I met my husband to be in December of 2006, I expressed to him my bias, he didn’t condemn it, criticize or expressed any anger, on the other hand he remained calm, and went on to explain what was Islam, his character impressed me and started to make me curious about this misunderstood religion, therefore I started my search about the truth on Islam. We were married prior to my reversion to Islam for six months. During those six months I observed a very different kind of man. I was blessed to observe a man of honor and character who made the world stop when the time came for salat (muslim prayer). He and his friends are men that would stop at nothing to please their Lord. I wanted to praise my Lord, also. I thought to myself if we die right now he goes to heaven and I go to hell.

We had declared shahada (muslim declaration of faith) in the privacy of my home in the summer of 2007. After studying Islam for three years I decided that I needed to say my shahada publicly, being this my public commitment to become a permanent member of the Islamic congregation, therefore last year, my daughter(11 years old) and I declared our shahada at the mosque on 96 St in New York, New York. I researched a lot online about Islam and nowadays I attend classes regularly at the North Hudson Islamic Center in Union City, NJ.

This summer I decided to take my investigation to the field and learn about what brings Puerto Ricans that live in the island to Islam. I found out that statistics show that by the year 2007 there were about 5,000 Muslims living in Puerto Rico. Most of these Muslims were Palestinians who started arriving to Puerto Rico between 1958-1962, when many fled the country in response to the Armistice in Israel, after in 1949 Israel gained about 50% more territory than was originally allotted to it by the United Nations Partition Plan.

As a representative for Hablamos Islam Niños, and armed with great expectations, curiosity, and the desire to learn more about my faith in my island, I embarked in this great adventure of learning about Islam in Puerto Rico. My mission was not only to learn, but also to find children that could be recipient of the books donated by brothers and sisters through Hablamos Islam Niños. The tough part was to find children in the mosques because apparently people travel some distance to go to the mosque in the West of Puerto Rico, so they rather leave the children at home during jumu’ah. A brother named Maruan, a Palestinian business man (manager of the Grand Store in San Sebastian, Puerto Rico) residing in San Sebastian, Puerto Rico and father of two volunteered to distribute the books, as he has friends who are raising their children of Palestinian descent in Puerto Rico and also knows Puerto Rican convert families.

My visit to the mosque in Hatillo, Puerto Rico was very pleasant because I met some of the warmest members of the Islamic community in Puerto Rico. This center is located in the intersection of Hwy 22 and Hwy 2 in Hatillo, Puerto Rico. I was able to interact with the community there and listen to some of the most wonderful stories of reversion to Islam. I met Br Inocencio Rivera who reverted to Islam one year ago. He expressed: “As a teacher in Berkeley, Boston I became interested in the history of the Arabic culture, and our heritage as Moor’s descendants that inhabited Spain for more than 700 years.”

The most outstanding trait of Islam is the variety of cultures that come together as one ummah, sitting next to Br Inocencio was Br Najah Ismaili from Lebanon who’s been living in the island for nine years. Afterwards, I had the opportunity of meeting Sheikh Ismail, the imam. I was very impressed with his control of the Spanish language. The sheikh’s reaction was: “I lived in Venezuela for many years before relocating to Puerto Rico.” Sheikh Ismail delivers the khutbah in Arabic and Spanish. I asked him what was his impression of Islam in Puerto Rico.

The sheikh explained: “The muslim community in Puerto Rico is dispersed, I travel from Aguada to Hatillo, to come serve at this mosque, this is the closest to my town. The community of Muslims in Puerto Rico is mostly composed of Palestinians but there are more Puerto Rican reverts in the mosques in Montehiedra and Vega Alta. There are between twelve to fifteen active members that come to jumu’ah every Friday, to this mosque. With the help of our ummah we recently finished this mosque as you can see it is newly built. The members of this mosque are mostly from Palestine and Lebanon, but there are also some Puerto Rican reverts that attend this mosque.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brazilian Feijoada Halal

Recipe for Halal Brazilian Feijoada (Northeast style, minus the pork!) Courtesy of Yasminah Ketchman, 2012 Cooking time: All day • 1 pound (450 grams) dry black beans • 4 Tbsp olive oil • 2 large onions, sliced • 1 head of garlic, peeled and chopped (Don’t skimp on the garlic!!!) • 1 pound lean beef chuck, in one piece • 1 pound (450 grams) carne seca (dried beef) or cornbeef, cut into chunks • 1/2 pound (225 grams) fresh sausages, such as beef sausage • 1 pound (450 grams) smoked sausage, such as smoked beef sausage • 200 grams bacon (beef or turkey) • 3-4 bay leaves • 3 sprigs parsley • 2 sprigs thyme • 3/4 teaspoon salt • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper • 3 1/2 quarts water • 4 cups black beans, picked over, soaked overnight, and drained Soak the smoked and salted meats in a large pan overnight (just enough water to cover the meat). The next morning, drain, rinse, and soak again until ready to cook. In a large heavy stock pot, heat the oil over medium

La influencia de los árabes musulmanes en España

Escrito por Wendy Díaz, 2005 En el año 711 el gran general musulmán, Tariq ibn Ziyad, acompañado por un ejército de 7.000 soldados, cruzó el estrecho desde el norte de África hacia España. Durante ese tiempo, el gobierno visigodo de España, dirigido por del Rey Rodrigo, estaba debilitado. Muchos españoles protestaban por la incompetencia de este reinado y sus protestas habían llegado a oídos de Musa ibn Nusayr, gobernador del norte de África. Los árabes encontraron la perfecta oportunidad para entrar a la península Ibérica. Cuando el ejército llegó a España, quemaron sus barcos, determinados a permanecer allí y extender el imperio musulmán. El estrecho que separa la península al norte de África, todavía lleva el nombre del general Tariq ibn Ziyad: Jabal-at-Tariq o Gibraltar, que significa “la montaña de Tariq.” Después de derrotar al ejército visigodo, los musulmanes, luego llamados “los moros,” siguieron su conquista hasta Toledo y establecieron tratados con los españoles. La tier

Reseña crítica: El Mensaje (la película)

Escrito por Wendy Diaz, 2005 La película El mensaje , (1976), también conocida como Mohammad, mensajero de Dios , es única en su clase por muchas razones. Fue la primera película épica que se trata de la religión, el Islam; fue hecha simultáneamente en dos idiomas: inglés y árabe; y es una película en la cual no se enseña el rostro del personaje principal. Fue dirigida por Moustapha Akkad y fue protagoniza por Anthony Quinn en su versión en inglés. Aunque el personaje principal es el profeta Mohammad, por respeto y razones religiosas, su rostro nunca aparece en la película. Anthony Quinn es Hamza, el tío de Mohammad, cuyo apoyo fue esencial en la vida del profeta. El mensaje fue grabado en Marruecos y Libia, lugares con paisajes de desiertos, perfectos para las escenas de esta historia que se llevo acabo en Arabia en el Siglo VII. Mohammad, en la tradición islámica, fue el último mensajero de Dios para la humanidad entera. Nacido en Meca, Arabia Saudita, Mohammad logro unir a la pen